Sunday, February 28, 2010

One moment - South Africa

I do a shit-ton of traveling and take alot of pictures when I'm abroad (except for Ottawa, Canada which was EXTREMELY boring). Usually when I go places there is one particular moment or picture that sums up the whole excursion ie the giraffe walking around in Bloemfontein or my fiance staring into space blankly while someone enjoys a Pater Witkap.
Some of the pictures are in black/white because you know when you want to seem "deep" a black/white photo goes a long way in getting your point across.

South Africa - November 2005-



South Africa was my first romp overseas. At the time I had never been overseas before and my longest flight before that was 2 hours. A flight to South Africa was 10 times that length. The liquor supplied to us by the wonderful folks at KLM ensured that the flight went smoothly.
Upon landing I remember all of the horror stories about the crime in the country and I must say that they're right. Armored truck jackings, exploding ATM machines, hijacked toll-booths...you name it.

But it's a freaking beautiful country though. I love it down there. I'm going back this summer for a soccer tournament that you may have heard of. One of the days that I was down there we drove from Pretoria to Bloemfontein and made our way up this hill to an old observatory. Well you know how out here ( "out here" being the Washington,DC metro area) , we have to worry about deer and the such walking the streets. Well in Bloemfontein if you go far enough outside of town (2 miles) you'll run into a giraffe. I took my little crappy point-and-shoot and snapped this shot. Not back for a $100 camera from Tar-Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment